Thursday, October 21, 2004

ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER DOLLAR

I never paid much attention to Converge until the last month or so. When I got their new album, You Fail Me, in the mail, I listened to it once and wasn't particularly impressed. Then I read in about six dozen places that their previous full-length, Jane Doe, was the one to hear; that it was some kind of world-beating noisecore landmark, in fact. So I checked it out. And it was. It was so good, in fact, it made me revisit You Fail Me. This time, the new disc seemed a little more interesting - it was, after all, the work of a band that had released at least one genuinely great album. It still didn't impress me much, but at least I feel like I wrote as an informed listener. Had I not heard Jane Doe, the review I published this week would have been much more harsh - probably unfairly so.

No comments: