Tuesday, June 12, 2007

HERE COMES THE RAIN











Rain, from South Korea, is apparently the biggest male pop star in Asia. I was gonna go see him at Madison Square Garden on the 23rd, but the show's been postponed "due to production scheduling conflicts. As this will be Rain’s first U.S. tour, his team wanted to make sure that they had enough time to organize shows of the caliber that Rain fans are used to" (according to an e-mail from his publicist). I see their point; if you can't totally destroy the audience's mind, why bother, right? Especially if the actual music (I got his fourth and most recent CD, Rain's World, in today's mail) is high-quality but not all that challenging Usher-esque dance-pop, sung in Korean—though he occasionally speaks English, and some choruses are bilingual. Regardless, I'm still looking forward to the show, whenever it is. I have a feeling I'm gonna be one of very few white dudes in the audience, except for maybe a few baffled boyfriends standing uncomfortably while their Korean girlfriends shriek and bounce.

No comments: