Friday, January 04, 2008

EEEEEE...ELLLL...PEEEE!!!

I admit it; I love bloated '70s prog. Not the wussy Canterbury stuff, with the flutes and lyrics about hobbits 'n' shit; I like the big, stadium-rocking prog. King Crimson from Larks' Tongues through Red, and especially the live albums: USA, The Nightwatch, the recently reissued Great Deceiver. Yes from The Yes Album through Going For The One. Van Der Graaf Generator from the debut through Still Life. And Emerson, Lake and Palmer from their debut through Works, Vols. 1 and 2.

I just got a box in the mail containing all of the latter: Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Tarkus, Pictures At An Exhibition, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery, Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends, and Works Vols. 1 and 2. Plus the 2CD, 28-track, roughly 2 1/2 hour Essential Emerson, Lake & Palmer, which honestly does kinda cover all the bases, but when you're going prog, go all the way prog, that's what I think anyway.

Good thing I bought myself a 160GB iPod for my birthday.

No comments: