Thursday, June 17, 2004

WE ALL KNEW THIS DAY WOULD COME

I'm finished.

Typed the last sentence of the re-edited first draft last night, burned it to a CD-R. Gonna print a copy tomorrow, and mail it to the publisher.

The breakdown:

13 chapters, an introduction, a bibliography, and a discography.

440 pages of actual text.

(I contracted for 300, but come on. All of Miles Davis's electric music, from 1968 to 1991, in 300 pages? Really, now. Maybe it'll shrink when they determine the book's font, but I don't honestly know how much I could cut if asked.)

What's next, you ask? Well, there are two possibilities.

1) A bio/critical analysis on Sly Stone.
2) A novel.

Right now, the smart money's on #2, because three books about music-related subjects in a row feels a little too rut-like to me. I want to be able to write about any damn thing I want, and sell the results, and if I stick to one thing for too long I'll limit myself in others' eyes. So, probably fiction next. A totally different set of skills are required, which means the results will inevitably be as knackered and ridiculous as my first book was, if not worse.

But you gotta get out on the dance floor and give it a whirl, right?

No comments: