Wednesday, March 08, 2006

WHAT, NO "BOB GEORGE"?

Got the new Ultimate Prince compilation in the mail today. I'm hardly a huge Prince fan, but even for me, in no sense does this live up to its title. Here's the track listing...

Disc 1
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Uptown
Controversy
1999
Delirious
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U
Purple Rain
Sign O' The Times
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
Alphabet St.
Diamonds And Pearls
Gett Off
Money Don't Matter 2 Night
7
Nothing Compares 2 U
My Name Is Prince

Disc 2
Let's Go Crazy (Special Dance Mix)
Little Red Corvette (Dance Remix)
Let's Work (Dance Remix)
Pop Life (Fresh Dance Mix)
She's Always In My Hair (12" Version)
Raspberry Beret (12" Version)
Kiss (Extended Version)
U Got The Look (Long Look)
Hot Thing (Extended Remix)
Thieves In The Temple (Remix)
Cream (N.P.G. Mix)

Now, I know no legit Prince best-of is gonna include "Le Grind," "Cindy C" or "Bob George," but there's so many other songs ("Sexy MF," "Housequake," the regular version of "Kiss," "It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night," "Baby I'm A Star")I'd rather have seen on here, and these remixes are just crap. I wish they'd just remaster the back catalog - then I could buy a really great-sounding CD of Sign 'O' The Times and one of the Black Album, and be done with the guy once and for all. At least this was free.

1 comment:

Phil Freeman said...

I'm a freelance music critic, so I got mine in the mail before the street-date pushback was announced.