Monday, May 01, 2006

WHY MUSIC SUCKS

When I was studying audio engineering, I asked my professor why I should compress a mix for "radio friendliness" if I knew for a fact that a) the music would never get played on the radio anyway, and b) even if it did, radio stations had their own compressors? I asked him why albums shouldn't come with two mixes on the disc: the "radio mix," which would wham you in the ears with compression and limiting and the blast-blast-blast that modern mastering studios are currently specializing in, and the "good mix," which would have dynamic range and airspace and real sonic beauty? He just kinda looked at me. Read this excellent piece and see if you don't wind up asking yourself the same questions.

1 comment:

Hayden Childs said...

You can get RID of these BOZOS by turning on comment VERIFICATION. I resisted DOING so for a while with my BLOG but once I got ONE message from these PEOPLE, I was inundated with COMMENT SPAM within a week. Word to the WISE.