Saturday, December 26, 2009

WHO WERE THE AD WIZARDS WHO CAME UP WITH THIS ONE?

I keep seeing this Wal-Mart commercial with two dudes in parkas, gloves etc. rooting around in trash cans and recycling bins outside a snow-covered suburban home. The one asks the other, "What are you looking for?" and his buddy replies, "A hairbrush for a Barbie," or something like that, whereupon the questioner gives the answerer a look of hopelessness. It was only on about the third viewing of this creepy two-character drama that I figured out they were supposed to be hapless dumb-dads (as seen in 1000 commercials, sitcoms etc. over the decades) who'd thrown away vital parts of their kids' presents. When I first watched it, I (and my wife) immediately thought they were homeless, reduced to digging through other people's trash for presents to give their own kids. And either way, what the hell does it have to do with shopping at Wal-Mart?

1 comment:

Sigivald said...

I got it as "guy searching for tiny thing his kid threw away", myself, on the first viewing.