Wednesday, December 31, 2008

ONE MORE TOP TEN

The annual Village Voice Jazz Critics' Poll results are in. I voted based mostly on stuff I'd written about during the year; I didn't spend much time listening to new jazz in 2008, to be honest. But I managed to cobble together a Top Ten, so here 'tis:

1. Anthony Braxton, Milford Graves, William Parker, Beyond Quantum (Tzadik)
2. Aaron Parks, Invisible Cinema (Blue Note)
3. Nik Bärtsch’s Ronin, Holon (ECM)
4. Bill Dixon, 17 Musicians In Search of a Sound: Darfur (AUM Fidelity)
5. Bill Dixon & Exploding Star Orchestra, s/t (Thrill Jockey)
6. Stephen Haynes & Taylor Ho Bynum, The Double Trio: Live at the Festival of New Trumpet Music (Engine Studios)
7. Wadada Leo Smith's Golden Quartet, Tabligh (Cuneiform)
8. Sonny Rollins, Road Shows, Vol. 1 (Doxy/Emarcy)
9. Jeff Gauthier's Goatette, House of Return (Cuneiform)
10. Totem>, Solar Forge (ESP-Disk)

REISSUE OF THE YEAR
Anthony Braxton, The Complete Arista Recordings (Mosaic)

1 comment:

Stephen Haynes said...

Thanks for including the work that Taylor and I produced on your end of year list. I would comment on your taste, but clearly I am biased.

You will be happy to know that my first CD as a leader has been picked up by Werner Uehlinger and Hat Hut. This is my working quartet, Bugaboo, with Alan Jaffe, Mario Pavone and Warren Smith, recorded at Firehouse 12 in New Haven.

Keep the home fires burning!